Life of Kika Collage

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Post Graduation: What Now?



"What are you doing right now? Are you in school? What are you majoring in?" I get these questions a lot. And they come from family members who are either disappointed that I am not pursuing medicine or that I haven't made a six figure salary yet. I get it. They want to know how I am doing, but it's a bit annoying to know that people expect me to have a successful job and the life that I want right now. I can say this for any person in college or who just graduated college. It's not fair for parents or peers to assume that a person isn't following the right path because they are starting with a mediocre job. We are young and we have so much to learn, it's not easy to get a decent job out there.
 
 For the moment, I am a free lance fashion designer as well as a full time secretary. I make money from my real job to support my living and my brand. I can't just live off of sewing garments for people. I would love to have my own brand and work with a full time team. But for the time being, I am getting my real estate license so I can make more money. I don't plan on doing real estate the rest of my life, but it can guide me into figuring out what good business is. I always see that good foundation for business is networking. And in fashion that's the basic of building a brand. You need people to sponsor your work and most of the time, young designers don't have a clue of where to find a sponsor. And to be honest, I'm not in a rush to go back to school. For the time being I'm working and making money without stressing over term garments and portfolios. I'll go back to school when I feel mentally ready.
 
 I feel like people are rushing into getting degrees and they don't even pay attention to what they actually want to do. In honestly don't think a person should feel pushed into something so quick. That's why I don't understand how some high school students are pressured into going to college and figuring out their major off the top of their heads. For some people, they know exactly what they want to do, but for others they feel stuck and have no guidance. The whole "Who Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up" example is kind of a pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment